What Is a Smart Home?
A smart home incorporates progressive automation systems to provide its occupants with complex monitoring and control over the home’s functions. For instance, a smart home might allow you to remotely control temperature, lighting, door and window operations, security and multi-media, among other functions. A smart home uses automation technology to provide occupants with smart feedback by monitoring several things in the home. For instance, a smart home may have a refrigerator that keeps a record of its contents, makes menu suggestions, and orders replacement foods when necessary.
Advantages of DIY Smart Home Projects
Appliance and Lighting Control
- Alexa turn on my coffee maker smart 12 cup coffee maker works with Alexa giving you the ability to ask your Alexa app or Alexa smart speaker to start brewing change brew strength or turn off the coffee maker the clock automatically keeps the correct time by syncing wirelessly with the app you can easily program for wake-up ready coffee using routines in the Alexa app visit the Alexa app regularly to learn new functions or things to say as launches new commands
- Certified for Humans: Smart home made easy for non-experts. Setup with Alexa is simple.
- Works with Alexa this smart coffee maker is "works with Alexa certified" meeting a high bar for responsiveness reliability & functionality few smart coffee makers are able to achieve works with Alexa certification which ensures the best smart home experience with your Alexa app or echo device
Some smart home projects allow you to control small appliances and the lighting in your home, either remotely or through voice commands. With a simple tap on your smartphone, you can control your lights from anywhere, and with a simple voice command you can brew your morning pot of coffee. This is not only convenient, but it allows you to save on your electric bill by ensuring the lights are off when you are not home.
- Connect your Ring camera with Alexa then enable announcements to be alerted when motion is detected. Talk to visitors through compatible Echo devices by saying “Alexa, talk to the front door”.
- Lets you see, hear and speak to visitors from your phone, tablet and PC
- Powered by the quick-release rechargeable battery pack.
The fact is, we cannot be everywhere all the time. Therefore, we frequently miss events that take place, sometimes even within our own yards or homes. Thanks to smart security cameras, we can see what is happening in our homes even when we are not there. Now you can ensure that no unwanted guests invade your home while you and your family are away. Security cameras enhance you and your family’s safety.
Remote Temperature Control
- ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat for home that helps you save energy and stay comfortable
- The Nest Thermostat is designed to work without a C wire in most homes, but for some systems, including heating only, cooling only, zone controlled, and heat pump systems, you’ll need a C wire or other compatible power accessory
- Nest Thermostat turns itself down when you leave, so you don’t waste energy heating or cooling an empty home
It is a commonplace occurrence to rush off to work without bothering to adjust the thermostat before we go. This means we come home to find our home is too cold or too hot. This is quite inconvenient as it often takes a lot of time for the temperature to become comfortable after adjusting the thermostat. With the right DIY smart home device, you can adjust the thermostat while you are still at work. This is also cost-effective as it saves energy.
Gives You Control When You Are Away
- 🔓【Rental Hosts & Homeowners】Sifely smart door lock is a great solution for airbnb short-term rental hosts, rental property management, and self-housing resident. Generate passcode remotely and share it to your visitors.
- 🔓【Multiple Ways To Unlock】Advanced 5-in-1 Keyless Entry Smart Door Lock: Fingerprint + Code + Fob + Smartphone + Key.
- 🔓【Easy To Install】Easy to install in minutes with just a Phillips screwdriver by following short installation video. No Drills Needed. No Locksmith Needed. Door handle is reversible for both left and right handed door.
Consider when you go on a business trip or vacation and have to give a key to a friend or neighbor so they can water your plants, care for your pets or pick up your mail while you are gone. Perhaps you worry that this person might lose the key, or worse, snoop through your things while you are away. There are smart home systems that can eliminate this worry. Instead of giving someone a key to your home, you can use an app on your smartphone to unlock your door and let them in at specific times. Through the use of security cams, you can monitor them while they are there.
DIY Smart Home Ideas
Raspberry Coffee Project
- Quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU 0.9 GHz
- 1GB SDRAM
- Audio: 3.5 mm jack, Storage: microSD card slot, Network: 10/100 Mb/s
Tre’Von McKay had a desire to make coffee using only voice commands. His solution was the Raspberry Coffee machine. To create this voice-powered coffee maker, McKay used a Raspberry Pi Model 2 sporting a USB dongle and a programmable coffee maker. He developed an application for the machine utilizing UWP Cortana integration, which is what enabled him to start his coffee maker via voice commands.
Futuristic Smart Home Mirror
- Bluetooth Vanity Mirror - Two bluetooth speakers at mirror back, connect the mirror with your smart phone or pad,enjoying the 360 degree surround music when make up or take a shower.
- Weather Forecast - Connected with WiFiClock App, you can get the network real-time weather forecast (Showing 11 different icons, including sunny, overcast, cloudy, light rain, heavy rain, thunderstorm, shower, light snow, heavy snow, sleet and haze / fog).
- Adjustable LED Lighted Mirror - Press the switch on black box at mirror back, you can choose the 3000K warm light, or 6000K white light.
A smart mirror was very popular in 2016. Many people have attempted to build one. For a while, the MagicMirror platform even went viral. That said, the best smart mirror to date was created by Ryan Nelwan. The software in this mirror appears very futuristic and smooth, so much so that there is debate concerning if the mirror is real. This debate continues despite the fact that the mirror has been demonstrated on live video.
Upgrade Your AC
- Supports ductless mini-splits, window A/Cs, and any A/C with a remote control
- Control from anywhere using your smartphone: iOS, Android, Web app
- Control with your voice with Amazon Echo & Google Home
Hands-Free Garage Door Opener
- Based around the mcp73871 battery management controller
- This shield ships with a 3.7V, 400mah li-po battery and headers
- Use USB or an external dc power supply or solar-cell to charge the battery
What better way to enter into an automated future than a garage door that opens on command? It is possible to get a professionally installed system, however, installing this DIY solution found on Hackster.io is more fun. You use a Particle Spark Core or a Particle Photon as the hub of the entire operation. There are also some added IFTTT commands. This is a simple project, even for beginners. Step-by-step directions, along with pictures, are available.
Automated Pool Controller
- This board is your entry to the unique Arduino experience: great for learning the basics of how sensors and actuators work, and an essential tool for your rapid prototyping needs
- Arduino Uno is the most used and documented board in the world
- "Uno" means one in Italian and was chosen to mark the release of Arduino Software (IDE) 1.0, now evolved to newer releases
If you are able to engage in a more involved DIY smart home project, and you are fortunate enough to have a home pool, you may want to check out the pool controller guide found on Hackster.io. When completed, you will have a system that controls heating, pool lights, and the pump, with Arduino boards and Raspberry Pi and its heart. Additionally, you will need Windows 10 IoT core software. Schematics and complete instructions are available if you want to try this out.
Smart Smoke Alarm
- End the 3 AM chirp - notifies you before the battery runs out
- Alarm notifications delivered to you, wherever you are
- Share alerts with friends, family, and emergency contacts
This is an easy hack that only requires adding a little something extra to your existing smoke detectors. All you need is the Roost smart battery. It fits most smoke alarms while adding phone and wi-fi connectivity. This 9V battery is easily installed and is claimed to lasts as long as five years. The ability to access your smoke alarm through an app means you can receive alerts about potential issues from anywhere and can also dismiss false alarms when necessary.
The app takes care of everything: all you need to do is plug in the battery and begin using it. You can also set up separate rooms and provide access to your neighbors when you are not home.
Curtains on a Timer
- An educational gift for every kid on your holiday list - especially budding makers and inventors!
- The perfect introduction: interested in getting your kid a stem toy but don't know where to start? The base inventor kit includes everything your kid needs to start inventing out of the box.
- What you get: build and customize a voice-activated robotic gripper arm, then transform it into new creative inventions that improve their room, help their community, or save the world.
If you love the idea of your curtains automatically opening, while your favorite wake-up song plays when it is time for you to get up each morning, then check out the Good Morning Sunshine project. This project is a bit complex in some areas, but with the instructions and the LittleBits kit, you should be able to pull it off.
Raspberry Pi Smart Lights
- Includes Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Model B with 1.5GHz 64-bit quad-core CPU (4GB RAM)
- 32GB Samsung EVO+ Micro SD Card (Class 10) Pre-loaded with NOOBS, USB MicroSD Card Reader
- CanaKit Premium High-Gloss Raspberry Pi 4 Case with Integrated Fan Mount, CanaKit Low Noise Bearing System Fan
This idea uses a mini-computer to turn lights off and on remotely. It will not provide all the functionality and features of a complete system such as Philips Hue, but it will give you the satisfaction of building the entire setup yourself and you will be able to refine it as needed. For this system to work, you must combine Pi with a few remote-controlled power outlets and web controlled software, which allows you to operate your lights via your phone, laptop or any other device that connects to the internet.
Face Recognition Door
- Includes Raspberry Pi 4 8GB Model B with 1.5GHz 64-bit quad-core CPU (8GB RAM)
- 128GB Samsung EVO+ Micro SD Card (Class 10) Pre-loaded with NOOBS, USB MicroSD Card Reader
- CanaKit Premium High-Gloss Raspberry Pi 4 Case with Integrated Fan Mount, CanaKit Low Noise Bearing System Fan
Windows Hello allows you to access your laptop by recognizing your face. You can one-up that by creating a smart door that works the same way. A complete set of instructions can be found on Hackster.io. A project of this nature will take a while to complete. However, if you thrive on a challenge, this project is a great choice. You will need a MinnowBoard Max or a Raspberry Pi at the heart of this operation. The primary software platform you will use is Microsoft Windows 10 IoT core.
Raspberry Pi Security Camera
- 🍓【As Powerful As A PC】 8GB RAM Motherboard, New SOC Broadcom BCM2711, quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit at 1.5GHz. Dual band 802.11b/g/n/ac WiFi (2.4/5.0 GHz) and Bluetooth 5.0 module. Transfers via 2 USB 3.0 & 2 USB 2.0 ports is faster up to 10 times, 4Gb/s or 500 MB/s. It is more than enough for real multitasking and productivity.
- 🍓【8GB RAM Starter Kit Offers Faster Performance】 8GB RAM cooperated with quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit at 1.5GHz gives full play to the CPU performance and RAM advantage. Capable of supporting HEVC 4K streams at 60 fps and managing 2 screens in 4K. Faster Gigabit Ethernet & Power-over-Ethernet support.
- 🍓【32GB Class 10 SanDisk Micro SD Card】 Preloaded with Raspberry Pi OS (Raspbian), very easy to use for even beginners. LABISTS Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB RAM Starter Kit also comes with a micro SD card reader which is compatible with USB-A & USB-C.
Raspberry Pi can be used to set up a security camera that looks after your property, even if the lights are not on. Along with the Raspberry Pi, you will need the Pi camera accessory and a few other items, along with the MotionPie software, which allows you to access your camera via any web browser. This software includes features found on the best security cameras including FTP support, image uploads, and motion detection. The MotionPie software is free.
Smart Remote Control
- 1️⃣ 𝗧𝘂𝗿𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝘀𝗺𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗽𝗵𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘂𝗻𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗮𝗹 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝘁𝗲 for TV, STB Cable/Satellite TV, smart TV, sound, projector, DVD player, air conditioner, TV box, fan/ tower fan, humidifier, air purifier, LED light strip, smart light and more infrared devices; 8000+ brands IR home theater home appliances compatible; 360 degree infrared signaling, 10 meter launch distance; Powerful self learn allows to add and customize more IR remotes to mobile phone app
- 2️⃣ 𝗖𝗼𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝗯𝗼𝘁𝗵 𝘀𝗺𝗮𝗿𝘁 & "𝗱𝘂𝗺𝗯" 𝗶𝗻𝗳𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿 & 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝗮𝗽𝗽𝗹𝗶𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝘀𝗺𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲: Convert current infrared devices into smart devices featuring remote control via mobile phone app, voice control, automation & 1 button control to mutiple devices; No wiring no smart plugs; 3 step: Download Orvibo Home app, add the Magic Cube, then add remotes using pre-loaded template, or customize your own buttons via powerful self lean skill
- 3️⃣ 𝗩𝗼𝗶𝗰𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗼𝗹 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗸𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗔𝗹𝗲𝘅𝗮 𝗘𝗰𝗵𝗼, 𝗚𝗼𝗼𝗴𝗹𝗲 𝗔𝘀𝘀𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗻𝘁 & 𝗦𝗶𝗿𝗶: Control devices and scenes at one touch or via voice commands to change volume, change channel by name/number, room temperature, portable fan speed / swing, projector zooming, mute/unmute, on/off, record, stop, and more to explore; NEED ENABLE ORVIBO Home skill in Alexa & Google home app, or use Siri voice scene control; Compatible with only infrared / IR devices 38k KHz
Any home that has more than one entertainment device needs a universal remote to control it all. However, you no longer need huge controllers with large, unsightly buttons. Now, your smartphone can be used to control every entertainment device in your home. A project by Tony DiCola on the Make community shows you how it is done.
Last update on 2021-04-20 at 14:44 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API