According to the World Health Organization (WHO), air pollution poses one of the biggest risks to human health. Unfortunately, many people think that air pollution is only a problem if you live in a big city. However, pollutants like carbon dioxide, pollen, and dust can affect any part of the world including rural areas. An air quality monitor will help you control the air pollutants around homes, schools, offices, hospitals, and factories.
An air quality monitor is designed to check and report the presence of harmful gases, chemicals, and fine particles in the air. Since the application may vary from one monitor to the next, it is important that you are clear on what you need from your air quality monitor. However, with so many considerations to make, you may find it hard to choose the best product. We prepared this review to help you find the right monitor easily.
Air Quality Monitor Faqs
1. WHAT IS AN AIR QUALITY MONITOR?
According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, the air that we breathe consists of a large number of pollutants, even it looks clear. An air quality monitor is a tool that shows the quantity of pollutants in the air.
2. WHAT DOES AN AIR QUALITY MONITOR DO?
While necessary for life, the air that we breathe is filled with harmful substances like carbon dioxide (CO2), formaldehyde, mold, dust, and bacteria. An air quality monitor keeps us aware of the level of these substances, which can lead to breathing problems, heart disease, lung cancer, and respiratory infections.
3. HOW DOES IT WORK?
The main parts in an air quality monitor include the fan, which sucks in air from the environment, and a series of sensors. Gas sensors check for the presence of harmful gases like Carbon Dioxide while particle sensors look for dust, pollen, and other fine particles.
4. WHERE CAN YOU BUY THEM?
Online stores like Amazon have a wide variety of air quality monitors.
5. HOW DO I CHOOSE ONE?
You can choose an air quality monitor based on size, type of sensors, and budget. For example, people with respiratory health problems like asthma bear the greatest burden from particle pollution. They will need to look at sensors that detect the presence of fine particles like pollen and dust.
HOW WE REVIEWED
We dug into every detail of air quality monitors like the size, sensor types, design, and budget. We also looked at other features like temperature and humidity reports, which are essential in controlling mold and bacterial growth. We checked the pros and cons of each product to provide you with an unbiased list of the best air quality monitors on the market.
- Tracks Toxins and Chemicals, Dust, CO2, Humidity and Temperature
- Provides actionable insights and personalized tips
- Made from natural materials, including 100% North American Walnut timber
Awair Smart helps to track the presence of fine dust particles, harmful chemicals, and carbon dioxide concentrations in the air. It also comes with in-built temperature and humidity sensors. The device is integrated with mobile apps to deliver real-time updates on air safety to your smartphone. It can also work with smart home devices like Alexa, Nest, and Google Home.
The mobile app delivers air quality reports on your smartphone while allowing you to track changes over a long period. It comes with color coding to make it user friendly.
- Mobile app support
- Works with smart home assistants
- Offers tips on maintaining clean air
- Long-term air tracking and reports
- Device display not clear
- Temperature sensor not compatible with all devices
- True Laser Particle Counter measures the concentration of particles in the air in 2 size ranges >0.5 micron and >2.5 micron diameter
- Accurately measure your home or neighborhood air quality and compare to AQI or PM2.5
- Test your air purifier, HEPA air filter, or home/office air filtration efficiency
The Dylos D1700 delivers laser-guided precision when it comes to monitoring indoor air quality. It can detect tiny particles like mold and bacteria as well as large ones like pollen. The device comes with an inbuilt electro-magnetic shield to monitor air pollution around purifiers and industrial equipment without interference. It features a PC connection interface to allow for further data processing.
Since PC interface uses a COM-port connection, you will need an adapter to feed the readings into your computer.
- Portable design
- PC connectivity
- On-board storage
- Not compatible with mobile apps
- Can only store data for 7 days
- Made in: United States
- Package Dimensions: 36.068 L x 7.874H x22.606W(centimeters)
- Test Instruments & Gauges
The Extech CO250 is a portable air quality sensor that looks like a large cell phone. It can measure the levels of carbon dioxide, humidity, and temperature. You can power it using 4 AA batteries or a 9V DC connection. The device can deliver statistical reports for every 15 minutes or 8 hours depending on your settings.
The readings are delivered in weighted averages, indicated as TWA for the 8-hour readings and STEL for the 15-minutes readings.
- Delivers accurate readings
- Portable design
- Easy-to-read display
- Battery powered
- PC output is not USB compatible
- Recordings continue even when making observations
DYLOS DC1100 PRO
If you live in a dusty, smoky, industrial, or humid environment, then the DC1100 might be the air quality monitor for you. It measures the level of fine particle concentration while delivering minute, hourly, and daily readings. The device can store up to a month’s readings to help you get an overall view of the air quality around your home. It can measure particles as small as 0.5 microns.
As with the previous Dylos air quality monitor on our shortlist, you will need a COM-port adapter for a USB PC connection.
- Simple interface
- Best for fine particle pollution
- Instant updates
- Not portable
- Only delivers particle readings
- MONITORS AIR QUALITY: Tracker samples air continuously and measures the level of particulates in the environment, which can include both large particles and small ones (e.g., PM2.5 from the burning of fuel or industrial processes). The free EBook teaches you about air quality with in-depth information about airborne particles and how they affect your health. (Download Link Emailed after Purchase)
- WEARABLE: Tracker is the size of your thumb and has a clip to attach to clothing, backpacks, and other gear so it can monitor while on the go.
- MOBILE APP: Pairs with mobile app to generate personalized insights about the environment and how to improve health.
Wynd offers a thumb-sized air quality monitor to help you keep track of indoor and outdoor air safety while on the move. It comes with a fixed clip so that you can wear it on your clothing or attach it to your backpack. The Wynd Tracker comes with a free, compatible mobile app. Wynd Wearable is particularly helpful for people who suffer from allergies because it measures particle pollution.
If you have a Wynd air purifier, you can synchronize it with the tracker so that you do not just monitor the air quality, but you can also regulate the air quality around your home.
- Supported by user-friendly mobile apps
- Tracks the surrounding
- Lightweight and portable
- Limited battery life
- only two tracking levels
CO2METER AZ-0004 INDOOR
- Provides accurate information about the quality of air in your home, office or greenhouse
- Continuously measures carbon dioxide, temperature and relative humidity
- Self-calibrating, no moving parts to wear out
The AZ-004 keeps track of temperature, humidity, and carbon dioxide levels. Perfectly designed for your home or office, it can counter the harmful effects of your air conditioning, heating, or ventilation systems, the biggest culprits in CO2 emissions. Self-calibration makes sure that the air quality monitor starts and resets automatically. The sensors are precise and temperature resistant.
The lack of moving parts makes it one of the most durable air quality monitors that you can find in the market.
- Delivers accurate readings
- Measures chemical, temperature, and humidity
- Extended data storage period
- Complicated display
- Ineffective in wet environments
GERMGUARDIAN SMART 4-IN-1
- WIFI & BLUETOOTH ENABLED : Monitor and control your GermGuardian air purifier anywhere from the Guardian Technologies App that notifies you and sends important alerts
- VOICE CONTROL : Alexa and Google compatible for convenient setting changes
- 5 IN 1 AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME : True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97 percent of harmful germs, mold spores, and odor while utilizing a built in air quality monitor (AQM) that automatically adjusts speed to optimize room air quality
The GermGuardian is a multifunctional air quality monitor that also serves as an air purifier. It can filter harmful particles from the air, fight odors, and kill airborne bacteria. It is Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled, allowing for connectivity to smartphone apps and digital assistants like Alexa. The compatible Guardian app will let you know when to change the filters or UV-bulb.
The device kills germs using a UVC light while a carbon filter helps it to control CO2 pollution. It also has a HEPA filter to trap dust and pollen while getting rid of bad odor.
- Energy efficient
- Kills germs
- Beautiful design
- Lacks sensor for air quality
- Lacks the child safety lock feature
IQAIR AIRVISUAL PRO
- Professional grade, highly accurate indoor air quality monitoring system
- Displays real-time indoor air quality readings plus temp & humidity
- IFTTT (If This, Then That): Set your AirVisual Pro to act, based on certain parameters. For example, if your AirVisual Pro has a high CO2 reading, then you get an alert.
The AirVisual Pro from IQAir can serve as your portable weather station. The device can pick up readings from external stations to help you plan your trips or make comparisons. It has an intuitive feature that delivers suggestions on how to maintain good air quality based on current readings. It is supported by the AirVisual app and comes with a large, LCD screen for easy readings.
A rechargeable battery makes the device easy to carry around, whether you want to take it the office or place it in your car.
- Attractive design
- Large and clear display
- Smart connectivity options
- Easy to use
- Delivers multiple forecasts
- Lacks sensors for chemical compounds
- Limited accuracy for external readings
- The economical 5-in-1 air quality detector use highly accurate and professional sensors to measure PM2.5, PM10, particle, HCHO and AQI.
- By using our latest 3rd generation Temtop laser particle sensor and optimised PSO algorithm, it makes particle measurements become more accurate and stable and enhanced its sensor life up to 20,000 hours.
- The pre-factory calibrated electrochemical sensor enhanced its accuracy and capturing formaldehyde molecules more precisely.
The LKC-100E can detect the presence of particle pollution as well as harmful chemicals like formaldehyde. It comes with an inbuilt LCD screen to display the readings from the sensors. The air quality monitor is small, portable, and convenient for use at home, in your car, or the outdoors. It is powered by a 3.7V rechargeable battery and comes with an air quality sensor.
LCD display uses a backlit system, making the reading visible in low light environments.
- Portable design
- USB charging and connectivity
- Easy to read interface
- Delivers accurate measurements
- Limited connectivity options
- Formaldehyde sensor needs professional interpretation
GAIN EXPRESS CO22
- Built-in Relay Function: Controls the ventilation system to automatically maintain the CO2 level that you set or specify
- Measuring Range: CO2: 0 ~ 2000ppm (2001~9999ppm, out of scale); Humidity: 0.0 ~ 99.9%; Temperature: -10.0 ~ 60.0 ° C (14 ~ 140 ° F)
- Built-in Non-Dispersive InfraRed (NDIR) sensor: Provides long-term & accurate Continuous monitoring
The Gain Express CO22 can deliver readings at 15-minutes and 8-hour intervals. It measures the humidity, temperature, and CO2 levels around the home. It features an LCD screen that displays all three readings at once. If you have a smart ventilation system such as an air conditioner, the built-in relay can regulate the CO2 levels by turning on or turning off the AC.
It will deliver the readings as weighted statistical averages for the 8-hour and 15-minute intervals.
- Delivers simultaneous readings
- Programmable ventilation controls
- CO2, humidity, and temperature monitor
- Suitable for indoor use only
- Limited functionality and basic display
The air we breathe is full of contaminants which calls for the need to have an air quality monitor to detect their levels enabling you to take the appropriate action. From our list, the Gain Express CO22 is ideal for budget buyers while the DC1100 Pro is suitable for industrial use. If you do not want to spend money on a separate purifier, you can opt for the GermGuardian 4-in-1 as it delivers good value for your money even though it lacks an air quality sensor.
Based on our findings, Awair Smart is the best air quality monitor in the market. It measures all the important elements such as particles, chemicals, temperature, and humidity. It has a user-friendly interface, comes with mobile app support and connects with virtual assistant applications. Coupled with a beautiful design, it is the best money that you can ever spend on an air quality monitor.
Last update on 2021-10-25 at 11:35 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API