A connected smart home is supposed to be simple, but too many times it is a complicated hassle. Is there a product that can connect your home and make it worth the effort? We wanted to take a close look at the WeMo Maker, a popular product many people are using to connect their homes. We hope our review of the product will give you a better idea if it may be a device worth trying in your own home.
What Is the Belkin Wemo Maker?
The Belkin WeMo Maker is a handy gadget that connects your electrical devices to the web. It is a popular product because it requires no special IT skills on the user’s part, and setting up your WeMo is straightforward. That is not to say the product is for everybody. It could surely be scary for a buyer who still cannot understand how to use his or her smart phone.
With the WeMo, you can activate technology by a switch or a motion sensor. When connected to the internet, products such as coffee pots and crock pots can be controlled through the WeMo downloadable app.
Coffee pots and similar items are easy to control because they have traditional plugs, but electronic items that have no plug, such as a ceiling fan or garage door opener, are more difficult. To accommodate even more devices, WeMo offers a small box that allows the simplest items in your home to connect to the web.
The WeMo Maker can accommodate your ceiling fans, sprinkler systems, and even window blinds. If your goal is to have a connected home, the WeMo may be just what some buyers are looking for.
- Wemo Bridge allows you to control Wemo devices by asking Siri or using the Apple Home app from your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch
- Set a custom scene or group your Wemo devices by room so that you can easily control multiple devices at once, all with a single command
- Use the Apple Home app to easily set automatic schedules for lights and appliances connected to your Wemo smart plugs and light switches
The WeMo Maker operates as a wireless device with a standard IEEE 802.11 b/g/n. It has a 2.4 GHz ~ 2.5 GHz operating frequency.
The product’s security features include WiFi WEP 64 / 128 bit- WPA TKIP with a pre-shared key along with WPA2 (AES / TKIP) with pre-shared key. The system has 32 MB of RAM and a 16 MB ROM. Relay connections should be no more than 24 V DC/AC at 1 ampere with sensor connection limited to 5 DC at 100 mA or less.
How It Compares
We picked a few similar products available on the market to see how they compare:
Wink Connected Home Hub
Ankuoo Smart Plug
Belkin Wemo Maker
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- Wemo is home automation the easy way: Plug in a Wemo Switch, download the free app, and start controlling your lights and appliances from anywhere in the world, right from your phone. No hub or subscription required
- Why come home to a dark house? Why let the fan run if nobody’s home? Set on and off times for your lights and small appliances
Ease of Use
While the WeMo does not require a lot of technical knowledge, it does require a respectable amount of electrical know-how to set up. Once in place, the WeMo downloadable app has a user-friendly interface that is easy to manage for most folks who can use basic smart devices.
With the WeMo, you can control almost any low-voltage device through an internet app. Whether the device has a traditional plug or is wired directly, the WeMo Maker can connect it to the internet. However, high-voltage items, such as a range or refrigerator, are not something the WeMo can manipulate.
The WeMo Maker features a single button on the front of the box with a pair of indicator LEDs. The WiFi antenna is located on the top of the box, and test and reset buttons are on the back of the device.
Also on the rear of the box is a relay terminal that functions as a break in the circuit between the WeMo and the device it is enabling. A micro-USB port provides a power option, and a spot for an additional sensor can be filled with a light sensor, moisture sensor, or many others.
No products found.
Your WeMo Maker comes with a limited one-year warranty.
- Compatible with almost any low-voltage device
- An assortment of 5-volt sensors are available
- WeMo App is user friendly
- Extensive tech knowledge is not necessary
- Electrical knowledge needed for hookup
- Cannot manipulate high-voltage products
- An individual WeMo is needed for every device you put online
- Your smart home needs a brain, so get started with a SmartThings Hub. It connects wirelessly with a wide range of smart devices and makes them work together
- Add smart devices and put your home to work. Choose from a wide range of compatible devices, including lights, speakers, locks, thermostats, sensors, and more
- Use the SmartThings app or Amazon Alexa to control your smart home. Teach your house new tricks by telling it what to do when you’re asleep, awake, away, and back home
The Samsung SmartThings Hub allows a range of smart devices to function together through a wireless connection. Controlling a smart home through SmartThings allows you to manipulate lights, door locks, temperature settings, and more.
Samsung’s SmartThings Hub can be controlled through the SmartThings app or with Amazon Alexa.
Ease of Use
To get up and running you will need the SmartThings Hub and the devices you wish to connect. You will also need to have downloaded the SmartThings app for your iPhone or Android. Simply connect the Hub to your internet router with an ethernet cable.
The app is very easy to use, and for those who prefer voice commands, Amazon Alexa is also compatible.
The processor is more powerful than expected, and the app performs quickly. Unlike WeMo, that requires one device for every product you put online, the SmartThings Hub can control hundreds of devices. The hub connects all the smart devices in your home to let you remotely control everything from alarms to lights.
The Samsung SmartThings Hub can control objects remotely from 100 feet away. It has a standard 100-240V plug for a wall outlet and comes with four AA batteries that provide ten hours of backup power.
The Hub has ZigBee, Z-Wave, and Bluetooth radio options. It is compatible with Honeywell, Philips Hue, Kwikset, and other popular brands.
The Samsung SmartThings Hub is covered by a limited one-year warranty.
- One hub controls countless devices
- Device can learn what to do when you are awake, asleep, etc.
- Powerful processor and friendly app
- Ten hours of backup with included batteries
- App is for phone and lacks a web interface
- Devices often need reconnected
Wink Connected Home Hub
- Wink Hub allows your diverse collection of smart home products to speak the same wireless language so you can easily control them from the Wink app. Easy Setup with the Wink app or Amazon Alexa to control your smart home with no required monthly fees, ever. Teach your house new tricks by telling it what to do when you’re asleep, awake, away, and back home.
- Platform Compatibility: Control products from iOS, Apple Watch, Android, and Android Wear. Works with Amazon Alexa.
- Supported Device Types: ZWAVE: Door Lock, Door/Window Sensor, Motion Sensor, Tilt Sensor, Light Switch, Light Dimmer, Appliance Module, ZIGBEE: Light Bulb, Light Switch, Outlet, Door/Window.
The Wink Hub intends to connect all of your favorite smart devices through one simple and friendly app. It combines easy setup with a variety of platforms, and it can be controlled with Amazon Alexa. Many common brands in the smart age, such as Nest and Philips Hue, can communicate with Wink Hub. It supports WiFi, Bluetooth, and others.
Ease of Use
The Wink Hub can be set up by simply downloading the Wink app, connecting to your hub, and adding the smart devices you want to manipulate. The app keeps you connected to your home no matter where you go, and it even reconnects if you lose connectivity.
The Wink Hub lets your personal assortment of smart products come together in one system controlled by your Wink app. It is compatible with various platforms including iOS, Apple Watch, Android, and more. It can be controlled by Amazon Alexa for those who prefer voice commands.
You can activate Wink shortcuts through IFTTT triggers. A default setting allows you to choose between WiFi or mobile data when manipulating Wink Hub on your smart phone. There are no monthly fees to use Wink, and it keeps you connected to your home’s system regardless of your location.
Your purchase includes a limited one-year warranty.
- Control all smart devices from one friendly app
- Easy setup and use
- Broad platform compatibility
- Connection to home devices from any location
- Updates can be complicated
- Some users report connectivity problems
Ankuoo Smart Plug
- 【MANAGE YOUR HOME REMOTELY】---Instantly Control devices connected to Ankuoo Smart Plug wherever you have Internet by using the free app on your smart phone. Enjoy peace of mind by checking on your devices remotely and always coming home to a well-lit house.
- 【SCHEDULE&TIMER】--Schedule your Smart Socket to automatically turn on and off your electronics as needed, such as humidifier, electric kettle, Christmas tree, coffee maker, lamp and electric fan.
- 【SAVE MONEY & ENERGY】--No wasteful standby power, save on your electric bill and extend your product life.The smart plug environmentally friendly.
The Ankuoo Smart Plug is a very simple device for users who are not looking for the ultimate smart home but simply desire the ability to turn certain devices on and off from the web. The Ankuoo plugs directly into your outlet, and a device is then plugged directly into the Ankuoo. It is compatible with Android and iOS smart devices.
Ease of Use
The Ankuoo Smart Plug is easy to use. Once the app is downloaded and connected, you can plug in your selected device to the Ankuoo plug. The device does not require a hub.
The Ankuoo Smart Plug allows you to remotely check and control devices connected to the Ankuoo. You can come home to a well-lit driveway or turn your lights off to save energy when you get held up at the office. It is compatible with iOS 8.0 or higher as well as Android 4.0 or higher. It supports a 2.4 GHz network, but it cannot support 5.0 GHz WiFi.
The ability to manage your home remotely to feel safe and/or be economical is the primary feature of the Ankuoo. It offers a schedule and timer so you can keep your coffee pot, humidifier, and Christmas lights on a distinct schedule. You can also check the status of your devices from remote locations.
This smart plug includes a limited 18-month warranty with lifetime technical support.
- Schedule and timer available for smart devices
- Save energy by not wasting electricity
- Easy to use
- Better warranty than more expensive products
- No 5.0 GHz WiFi
- No voice control
We believe the Wemo Maker could be of use to homeowners wanting to bring the right devices online.
A WeMo must be purchased individually for each device you want on the web, so a careful review of the big ideas for your home should be mapped out with that in mind. For a buyer with a few low-voltage devices who wants a reliable online system, the WeMo may be worth a try.
Last update on 2021-05-09 at 02:45 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API